The Middleton Area Historical Society was established in 1972 with a mission to preserve and publicize the history of the Middleton area. The Society’s first museum was located in the basement of the nearby City Hall building. The organization grew and in 1989 the Middleton Area Historical Society purchased the historic Rowley House located at 7410 Hubbard Avenue. A generous donation from long-time Middleton area resident Gilsie Techam made the purchase possible.
In June of 2010, the Society opened a second museum, The Museum at the Depot, which is located in the rear of the Middleton Tourism Center at 1811 Parmenter Street.